Exercise is vital for long-term health and physical fitness. You can do a lot with your life if you keep yourself moving. Life does not always keep you moving, and it can be harder to stay active as you get older. A recumbent exercise bike can be the tool to keep you fit and active, no matter what age or level of physical fitness you are.
A recumbent physical fitness bike lets you recline and pedal for as long as you want to go. Many more modern units come with built-in programs to track your progress and help you set physical fitness goals. You will find yourself being able to use the bike at all hours because they are quiet and do not disturb the house.
1. NordicTrack VR21
- The machine's design features an iPad holder, so you can stream content while you work out.
- The pre-programmed workouts are very challenging and offer plenty of chances to make them harder.
- The bike is easy to adjust to fit even taller adults.
- You must have an iFit membership to activate the machine and a monthly charge to keep it running.
- The machine requires high-speed internet to run smoothly.
- Resistance:Twenty-five levels of magnetic resistance
- Screen:Five-inch LCD
- Workout programs:Thirty-two workouts
- Extra:Attached speakers, 20 lbs inertia
When it comes to exercise the NordicTrack VR21, there is little you cannot do as you make the inertia enhanced flywheel spin. Designed to mimic natural human stride, the VR21 can give you up to twenty pounds of force through inertia. You can choose your workout through one of thirty-two different workout apps that can set you spinning onto the right track.
The VR21 comes with an easy-to-use display featuring some of the most up-to-date technology that incorporates fitness apps and built-in technologies. The technologies monitor your calories, heart rate, speed, and other features using one-touch controls that let you keep an eye on your progress while making subtle adjustments to your workout.
What makes the VR21 work for you is the number of features that make you want to get on a ride, such as connecting your phone to stream music through the built-in two-inch speakers. In addition to the technology, the bike features a comfortable seat to ride on and extra-wide ergonomic paddles that fit everyone's feet comfortably. Check price here.
2. Schwinn 230
- You can use the bike for surgery recovery exercises.
- The bike is easy on your knees and joints.
- The bike is easy to assemble for most people.
- The bike pedals can start making some noise after many months.
- The computer sometimes glitches
- Resistance:Twenty-five levels
- Screen:DualTrack LCD
- Workout programs:Twenty-nine programs
- Extra:Bluetooth, two fitness tests, quick start
Coming with twenty-nine different programs, twelve different profiles, and various fitness tests you can customize, the Schwinn Recumbent Bike Series features come of the best programs for working out through a range of exercises. Bluetooth ready, the bike syncs with the Schwinn Trainer App and other popular fitness apps to help you meet your goals and your way through the exercises.
You can adjust your daily workout for the amount of resistance you want through the Dual Track LCD screen. The screen comes with a built-in media shelf, so your phone can ride along. You also can sync your phone with the bike to stream music and other media through the built-in speakers.
You can customize your rides through adjustments to your speed and inertia, so your ride will be smooth and easy to start. The machine uses a regular one hundred ten volt system to run through your workouts. Check price here.
3. Exerpeutic 4000
- The bike is very quiet to use in all settings.
- The seat, back, and armrest design are in a perfect position for comfort and use.
- A built-in holder for devices makes riding and watching shows convenient and fun.
- The bike can start dropping metal shards.
- The built-in Bluetooth is weak.
- Resistance:Magnetic 24 levels
- Workout programs:Twelve Workout Programs
- Extra:Gel pad for electronic devices, Molded mesh back
Made to be comfortable as well as supportive, the Exerpeutic 4000 comes with a large, oversized seat that makes the bike comfortable to ride for extended periods that include extra technology. The engineering of the seat allows for air to pass through the fabric and a mesh back design that helps reduce body stress through oxygen flow.
Twelve programs come built into the computer that can help you monitor your distance, RPMs, time, and heart rate. You can adjust the tension throughout the programs to set one of twenty-four different levels of magnetic tension. The console has a gel pad for mobile devices, so you don't need to put down your phone as you work out. Check price here.
4. Nautilus R616
- There is a tray behind the seat for your water or a snack.
- The machine is very quiet to use through all settings and programs.
- The bike is easy to use for people recovering from surgery.
- You cannot move the seat forward enough for smaller people.
- The resistance feature can be sometimes be hard to control
- Resistance:25 levels
- Workout programs:29 different programs
- Extra:Bluetooth, explore the World App, app data sync
If you like adventures and exploring new places, you will love the Explore the World app that comes with the Nautilus Recumbent Bike Series. The app lets you travel the globe to exercise and explore new places as you run through market places or trail run through the Swedish Alps. You can go through three different courses. You can sign up through the Explore the World App to access many more places across the virtual world.
You control your exercising through the DualTrack LCD with twenty-nine different programs and twenty-five levels of resistance. You can push yourself through a wide range of workouts and adjust your workouts for your improved skills and intensities. You can track your progress and sync the data you create through the app of your choosing. Check price here.
5. Marcy ME-706
- The bike is very quiet and smooth to operate.
- The bike generates its electricity, so you can put it anywhere in your home and save power.
- People recovering from surgery can easily ride the bicycle for therapy.
- The bicycle is difficult to ride for taller adults.
- The seat can be unstable through intense rides.
- Resistance:24 levels
- Workout programs:23 distinct programs
- Extra:Self-propelled electricity generation, adjustable seat level, two sets of handles
Designed with premium steel and some of the most up-to-date software, the Marcy ME-706 is a heavy-duty workout bike that can support up to three hundred pounds. The bike's design helps with the performance to ensure you can work through different levels of the programs.
The design includes counter-balanced pedals that conform to your feet to help you pedal through different intensities. The bike is energy-efficient in operation as it does not require batteries or an outside power source to operate. You power the bicycle through pedaling, which direct electricity to the LCD screen and manage the programs.
The bicycle comes with twenty-three programs and twenty-four levels of resistance to help you push through multiple terrain levels and strengths. You can adjust the bike to fit your body or those of your family. Check price here.
6. Marcy ME-709
- The bike is comfortable to put together for most people.
- You can easily raise your heart rate without causing too much strain.
- The weight limit is three hundred pounds.
- The bike could have more tension level settings.
- If you are smaller, you may have trouble using the bike.
- Resistance:8 levels
- Workout programs:15 distinct programs
- Extra:Padded seat, easy-entry design, counter-balanced pedals, transport wheels
Fourteen gauge steel tubing with a robust design makes the Marcy ME-709 incredibly durable for the long-term. You will find the step-by-step design easy to assemble, and the design gives plenty of room to move your arms and legs as you move. The design includes a comfortable chair with handles you can grip through your workout.
You can select eight different resistance levels by adjusting the levels of resistance by moving the tension knobs. The tension knobs help you customize your workout for different terrains. You set the pace through the LCD to monitor your progress, including speed, calories burned, and distance.
The bike's design is comfortable to ride and comes with counter-balanced pedals that provide support for all sizes of feet. You can adjust the foot strap that holds your foot securely on the pedals as you move them. Check price here.
7. Exerpeutic 900XL
- The bike has a maximum weight limit of three hundred pounds.
- People with knee problems can receive a good workout without causing problems.
- Taller adults can exercise easily without being cramped or uncomfortable.
- The built-in programming is not very high-tech.
- People with large feet may have trouble using the straps effectively.
- Resistance:8 levels magnetic resistance
- Screen:Large LCD
- Workout programs:15 distinct programs
- Extra:Bluetooth, MyCloudFitness App, adjustable seat
Coming with some of the latest technology, the Exerpeutic 900XL features the Bluetooth Smart Cloud Fitness LCD that comes with the free MyCloudFitness app. The app is compatible with Android and Apple systems, so you can track your progress and monitor your workouts through three different goal settings in the apps. You can watch yourself burn calories and travel great distances while monitoring how long you are working out.
The design is easy to follow and assemble with a heavy-duty steel frame that ensures everyone's safety. The bike has a maximum weight capacity of up to three hundred pounds, so almost everyone can use it. The bike is easy to adjust to your workout needs through eight levels of tension.
The seat and backrest are large and oversized and easily fit people 5'3" up to 6'6" in height. You can hold onto two different sets of handles that will monitor your pulse and show you your heart rate in front of your seat. The console display is large and easy to read for all the important information about your ride. Check price here.
What to look for in the a recumbent exercise bike
The design of the bike can make the bike work for multiple types of people. The bike will have to have an industrial designed frame to ensure the bike is strong enough to withstand years of use, abuse, and weight. Make sure you look at the maximum weight restrictions; it ensures you can ride the bike easily and get an indication of the long-term quality.
If the bike has a lot of plastic in the construction, make sure you know where it is located. Different types of plastic can split if you put extra pressure on the pieces. Even plastic foot pedals can make the machine more difficult to use or withstand the test of time.
Most exercise bikes use magnetic or mechanical resistance to provide the right amount of tension throughout your ride. For mechanical resistance, you adjust the tension level by turning the pressures on the stationary bike wheel. Magnetic resistance is something you adjust through the console, most often attached to a pre-programmed workout.
The bikes most often adjust by sliding the seat forward and back, along with up and down. You should be able to adjust the height of the bike to fit your personal needs if you are smaller or taller than you should pay particular attention to the type of seat and how it adjusts.
A good quality recumbent bike should have dimensions listed, and in your research, you should find videos about how the bike adjusts. The adjustments you make need to ensure the bike remains solid and stable.
Not all types of bicycles come with the most updated computer programs. When you review multiple products, you will need to determine what kind of programming comes in the computer program. One notable thing you should look at is whether you need to sign up to receive updates or start an account to get your bike to work.
Some bikes only work with high-speed internet or require constant updates to remain functional. Some bikes you do not need to updates or even electricity. Do your homework and determine what you want out of your computer programs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a Recumbent Exercise Bike Good for Seniors?
A recumbent exercise bike is an excellent way for seniors to exercise. The recumbent exercise bike does not put added strain on joints or knees, so they are a good option for anyone wishing to stay in shape as they age. Even without health problems, the bike can help seniors remain active.
Can you get in shape on a recumbent exercise bike?
Getting in shape and staying in shape is something everyone should try to do. A recumbent exercise bike is an excellent way to remain active throughout the cold winter months or to start a new exercise routine. The bike is easy to start using by simply pedaling the bicycle to start it. The design of the bike sets you further back than a regular bike, so you can adjust to regular exercise and get your heart rate up. You can find yourself building up endurance, which will eventually open up more doors for different types of workouts and machines.
Is a recumbent exercise bike good for arthritic knees?
Arthritis in your knees can slow you down for any type of exercise that adds pressure and force to your knees. Knee pain is a common problem for people of all ages and physical fitness. A recumbent exercise bike does not put weight or strain on your knees. The exercise bike keeps your body moving and blood flowing. Knees are delicate, and you can find yourself exercising longer or changing your workout programs by using the bike.
Are recumbent bikes good for losing weight?
Losing weight can be hard, but the first thing you need to do is start moving. By using a recumbent exercise bike, you can give yourself a way to start. The bikes are easy to use for most people, and you will find you can ride them at any time, and built-in programs can help you stay focused and keep you active.