Even the healthiest and fittest people often struggle with pull-ups. Many can't to a single one. The reason is simple. Pull-ups are hard and take practice. Pull-ups are so physically demanding; the U.S. military uses them as part of tactical training programs.
Imagine what they can do to help you reach the loftiest strength and fitness ambitions. Pull-ups are a perfect exercise to add to any training routine. However, you may be confused about adding the necessary equipment, a pull-up station, to your home gym.
Bulky home gyms often have a pull-up station. There are also designs that attach to a doorway. But, what do you do if you don't have space for a large weight machine or a doorway you where you'd want a permanent pull-up bar attached?
Even portable doorway pull-up bars can leave marks. Well, we've got great news. There are freestanding pull-up bars, which take up minimal space. Also, you can stow them away when not in use. Some power towers offer even more versatility than just a pull-up station.
But, how do you know which ones will be stable and are worth your investment? We're going to save you the trouble of searching for the best freestanding pull-up bar. Here's our list of the seven best options for freestanding pull-up bars.
Our first freestanding pull-up tower offers far more than just a station for pull-ups. The Stamina X Fortress Power Tower is true to its name. It is a power tower design that has extra features to allow you to do more than just pull-ups.
This standalone piece of exercise equipment gives the flexibility to target entire muscle groups on your body. You can hit your legs using the stable plyo box. The plyo box has five adjustment levels from 16-inches to 24-inches.
You can perform gravitational curls, plus dips, to rip your triceps. The Stamina X Fortress has multiple pushup stations, and a padded backrest for leg raises. This is a sturdy and stable freestanding pull-up machine with the diversity to work out your entire body.
- The Stamina X Fortress Power Tower has a wide, sturdy, and stable base. It will not jump around the floor during intense exercise.
- This machine is made with a solid steel frame for durability and strength.
- Multi-station design lets you do a full-body workout using a single machine.
- While the larger base is vital for overall stability, the Stamina X Fortress Power Tower does have a slightly larger footprint than more basic freestanding pull-up stations.
- The steel frame has a total weight of 150-pounds, so this station is a little more challenging to move around.
Product Features:▼ ▲
- : Adjustable plyo box
- : Boulder Fit rock climbing hand grips
- : Adjustable dip bar
- : Multi-grip pull-up station
- : Padded backrest for leg raises
- : Padded abdominal straps
Our next option is a freestanding pull-up station, but it's a lot more than that. The Harison Power Tower is one of the more versatile freestanding exercise stations on the market. A critical feature of this option is the adjustable bench.
You can use this station for all sorts of challenging exercises. You can jump right from a set of pull-ups to using the antagonistic pectoral muscle for dumbbell presses. Resistance bands are a great addition to add versatility to your workout.
The Harison Power Tower has six welded eyelets to attach your resistance bands. There are multiple grips on the pull-up station to help isolate individual back muscles. This is a freestanding pull-up machine with enough features to rip every muscle group in your body.
- This is one of the most versatile freestanding power tower stations available. It is like a full home gym weight machine in a single station.
- The extra features fold up to keep the machine's space-saving qualities.
- There are six steel eyelets for attaching resistance bands, so you do nearly every type of exercise offered by a bulkier machine.
- While having the extra stations adds tremendous versatility, this makes the Harison Power Tower more costly than other models.
- The leg raise and dip station are not adjustable
Product Features:▼ ▲
- : Multi-grip dip station
- : Multi-grip pull-up station with a full-length bar in the middle
- : Adjustable bench
- : Elevated pushup grips
- : Extra padding on the backrest
The next choice we've researched for you is another power tower with a sturdy steel frame. The Steelbody STB-98501 also has an attractive dark power-coating. It not only looks good, but it's resistant to rust and corrosion.
While the Steelbody is a versatile station, it doesn't have as many extra features. If you're looking for an extremely sturdy tower to do pull-ups and dips primarily, this is a useful and practical option. The strongest quality of this freestanding pull-up station is its strength.
Marcy, the company that builds this power tower and other pieces of exercise equipment, used reinforced steel to create an extremely sturdy and stable station. The user weight rating of up to 300-pounds is reflective of the strength of construction.
Another important feature of this freestanding pull-up station is the actual design of the bar. There are multiple hand grip points, plus it sits away from the frame to allow for trunk rotation and leg swings.
- The pull-up bar is a full-length bar with bends and angles for multiple grip positions.
- The platform is wide and stable, which prevents any shifting of the station during intense exercises.
- With the pull-up bar set up and away from the vertical frame, you can do swing motion exercises on this station.
- There are only three primary stations on the Steelbody STB-98501 Power Tower, so you will not be able to target quite as many muscles with this machine.
- The height of the bar is not adjustable, so shorter users may need to step up.
Product Features:▼ ▲
- : Sturdy leg raise station
- : Extra-wide pull-up bar with multiple hand positions
- : Extremely solid steel frame
- : Dip stations are adjustable
- : User weight rating of up to 300-pounds
If you're looking to blend quality and affordability, the Body Champ VKR1010 meets both criteria. This is a very sturdy freestanding pull-up station, but the price is definitely in the affordable category.
However, don't mistake Body Champ for cheap. This station uses high-strenth steel for an H-frame design with sturdy vertical supports. Body Champ put extra cushioning in the base pads to help prevent the machine from tearing up floors.
There are four individual exercise stations, including the VKR padded leg raise option. The cushions have extra padding, plus they're stitched, not stapled. The pull-up bar has two padded grip locations. The outside grip is ergonomically designed to be easy on your wrist.
- The Body Champ VKR 1010 gives you a high-quality freestanding pull-up station at an affordable price.
- They kept the design simple on this power tower but used rounded steel vertical supports and H-Frame base to create a state-of-the-art design
- This power tower weighs just slightly over 60-pounds, so it's simple to shift it around.
- There is no adjustment for the height of the pull-up bar, but there are two step-ups to assist shorter users.
- The lighter weight has benefits, but the Body Champ SKV1010 doesn't provide the same floor stability as heavier models.
Product Features:▼ ▲
- : Extra thick pull-up grip and dip grip handles for extra comfort
- : H-shaped base
- : Wide and closed grip points are well-padded
- : Four individual exercise stations
- : Powder-coated frame for a sleek look
- : Padded feet under the frame to protect hardwood and vinyl floors
Our options now shift into choices that suitable for someone looking for a smaller, less versatile type of freestanding pull-up station. The Stamina 1690 Power Tower provides a stable frame for pull-ups and dips, plus has two attached pushup handles on the base.
However, the machine is lightweight, plus it takes only minutes to assemble it out of the box. This is a basic freestanding pull-up station that also has a nice price appeal. Don't mistake the station to be low-quality because of the price.
Stamina stands by the durability of the 1690 Power Tower with a 5-year warranty on the frame. This freestanding pull-up tower also uses a double steel vertical frame for extra balance and stability.
- The double steel vertical frame improves the station's balance and stability to compensate for a smaller overall footprint.
- This station weighs under 60-pounds, so it is truly easy to shift around.
- The vertical supports also angle inwards to allow for intense wide grip pull-ups.
- While there is a place to perform leg raises for core exercises, this station does not have a padded backrest for support.
- The Stamina 1690 Power Tower does not offer adjustment points for the pull-up or dip stations.
Product Features:▼ ▲
- : Padded inside and outside grip points on the pull-up bar
- : No-slip end caps on the base
- : Simple design that's easy to assemble and easy to move
- : Two padded foot braces for setups
One thing that often hinders people from using a freestanding pull-up tower is most are set at a fixed height. While you can make adjustments to reach the bar, one that adjusts would be nice. K KiNGKANG heard the voice of their customers.
The K KiNGKANG Power Tower has a six-level height adjustment. They also realized that users might not want the machine to be in the middle of a room. However, this limits machines that place different exercise stations on both sides of the tower.
The K KiNGKANG took care of this problem by putting all the handles and exercise stations on the same side. This means you can tuck the tower conveniently close to a back wall.
Price, versatility, and stability are all strong points of this freestanding pull-up station. This power station did add a pair of rack hooks to attach resistance bands or rest a weight bar.
- This station has the broadest range of height adjustments, so it's suitable for all different heights and body types.
- You can perform dozens of traditional power tower exercises, but you only need a single machine.
- All the exercise stations are on the same side of the machine so that you can tuck the K KiNGKANG up tighter against a back wall.
- The arm and back pads the K KiNGKANG Power Tower are thinner, so they do not provide the same comfort level.
- While the pair of rack hooks on the backside is useful, they are set too much to do squats.
Product Features:▼ ▲
- : Six-position height adjustment points
- : All the exercise stations are on one side
- : U-base with a flare at the front for tremendous stability
- : Several extra features in a very affordable freestanding pull-up station
- : Extra-wide padded footrests
- : Canvas padding on the backrest for improved durability
There may be situations where you wish you had a freestanding pull-up station. That isn't practical with any of our previous six designs. However, portability is the prime feature of the GoBeast Power Tower.
This station comes apart in a couple of minutes. You can take each of the pieces, plus the resistance band accessories, and pack them conveniently in a carry bag. The carry bag has a shoulder strap, so taking the 45-pound station with you is a snap.
Even though the station disassembles, it is still made using a sturdy steel frame. Because it's designed to come apart quickly, GoBeast didn't find it beneficial to add a host of extra features.
There is a set of resistance bands that help to expand the number of exercise options. The GoBeast Power Tower gives you a stable freestanding pull-up station that is both portable and affordable.
- This station disassembles in minutes, and then fits in a convenient carry bag so that you can take this station anywhere you need it.
- The GoBeast Power Tower is easy to assemble and disassemble.
- Since the tower only takes a couple of minutes to take down, you don't need a dedicated room to store this option. Put it in its carry case and stick in a closet.
- The GoBeast Power Tower allows you to do free-swinging types of exercise, but it isn't as stable as heavier stations, so you need to a good balance.
- This station only is set up to do pull-up exercises and dips.
Product Features:▼ ▲
- : Disassembles for travel or convenient storage
- : Set of resistance bands to expand the number and type of exercises
- : Sturdy tubular frame and base
- : Storage bag with carrying strap
- : Rubber end caps to prevent shifting and protect the floor
Can you get ripped from pull-ups?
Pull-ups by themselves won't rip your entire body. However, by using multiple grip positions to fully target your entire back and arm muscles, pull-ups will build massive upper body strength and rip the muscles you use. There are straps to add weight to your pull-ups that raise the level of intensity
Can you lose weight by doing pull-ups?
The act of doing a pull-up won't burn away excess calories simply by the motion itself. However, pull-ups use so many upper body muscles and are so physically intense, that if you do them as part of any interval training concept, pull-ups will carve off calories and help you lose weight.
What should I look for in a freestanding pull-up bar?
There are essential features every quality pull-up bar should have. It will be stable and sturdy. Along with stability, a freestanding pull-up station will have multiple grip positions to target your entire back. For workout diversity in a single machine, look for freestanding pull-up machines with multiple exercise stations.
What other exercises can I do on a pull-up tower?
Single freestanding pull-up towers restrict the number of exercises somewhat. However, by shifting your hand position, you can target different arm muscles and areas of your back. Pull-up towers with multiple stations provide the versatility to do core exercises, dips, pushups, leg raises, gravity arm curls, and more.
Do these power towers require assembly?
Shipping a freestanding pull-up station fully assembled would not be practical. However, there is only limited assembly required. Freestanding pull-up stations require few tools and can be assembled by one person in minutes. The best freestanding pull-up stations will come with all the accessories you need as well.
Can I make a freestanding pull-up bar myself?
You can make a freestanding pull-up bar yourself, but why would you? Like many do-it-yourself projects, by the time you buy top-quality materials and spend the time building the equipment, you could purchase a super high-quality item designed to be sturdy, efficient, and safe.
The Final Verdict
Each of the freestanding pull-up towers will provide you with a station to do multi-grip pull-up exercises safely and securely. However, when we consider the extensive number of diverse types of exercises you can perform, the Harison Power Tower raises the bar.
If your budget is open to a slightly more costly freestanding pull-up power tower, this model has a lot more to offer than just a pull-up station. You can essentially do a full fitness club workout on a single power tower.
You'll need to decide how much flexibility you require for your workout routines. Each of these freestanding pull-up stations will give a solid place to perform pull-ups. Get started today and begin doing pull-ups to get strong and ripped.